View Single Post

Old 03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 41 Times in 7 Posts

Hello

I think it was the .380in Mk.II (later WWII version with the 178 grain Ball Bullet) that did not penetrate a great coat?

I have heard about this "incident" a few times, was this a actual "scientific test" that was done by the Royal Ordnance Corps?, or just some bored squaddies that found a discarded German great coat?, not that it really matters LOL.

I am grateful enough to have fired a couple boxes of .38in S&W cartridges last week in my Webley & Scott Mk.IV and my S&W Victory Model. As much as I hear people say how weak the .38" S&W cartridge is, I can say that I would not want to be on receiving end of a .38" S&W LOL.

I have reloaded a box or two that I tried to get as close an I can to the original .380in Mk.I cartridge (200 grain lead bullet).
I had 200 grain lead bullets over 2.5 grains of Unique, and overall they did fairly well in my S&W Victory Model.

I wish I could say the same for the Webley & Scott Mk.IV, which the accuracy was "acceptable", but not "stellar". The bullets were undersized, they were .358" meant for a .38" Special, not a .38" S&W. I think in the future I can get both revolvers to shoot better.

But it was a step in the right direction, then again living where I do with no free access to safe and legal places to shoot on a regular basis, I was just grateful to have gone shooting LOL. Just wish I did not have to fork over $20 (U.S.) to get to shoot for an hour LOL.

I'm glad to hear an interest in the .38in S&W Cartridge.
Thanks
Mark