View Single Post

Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,195 Times in 2,860 Posts

My 915 came with no plastic parts. It has a metal guide rod, metal sights and mag catch. It's former owner, a former chief instructor at the S&W academy, had the Performance Center cut the slide and put Novak low mount night sights on it. I still have the factory OEM metal sights for it.

A few experts here, claim the 915 and 910 are the "same". A cursory examination of both models will show this to be incorrect.

I own very nice examples of both. Both models being S&W aluminum framed 9mm high caps, with black coating. They use a common magazine too. The similarity ends there.

The 915 slide and frame have more machining cuts on them making them rounded and curved. As I stated, the 915 I own, and those I've examined don't have plastic parts. The 915 barrel has a locking lug on it and a corresponding cut in the slide for tighter lock up, and better accuracy.

The 910 is block like.........or Glock like if you will. The 910 will not go into my fitted 915 holsters. My 910 is an early production model with forged hammer and trigger. It has a plastic (nylon) guide rod, plastic sights, plastic mag release button, and plastic disconnector. It is a nice pistol.......for what it is.

My 910 is combat accurate. My 915 is a tack driver.

While both the 910 and 915 were "value line" pistols, the current asking prices for the 910 model make it anything but a value. The 910 is a nice $300 - $350 pistol.

I will take a 915 over a 910 anytime, and take both over any M&P pistol. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.
The Following User Likes This Post: