View Single Post

Old 03-24-2010, 02:28 AM

Liked 3,595 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdV8 View Post
I have not seen the Ruger manual you are talking about (it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though or haven't seen something). The P95 manuals posted online basically say that if it is loaded to factory/SAAMI/NATO specs it will be fine.

To clarify my earlier response, I believe S&W is being cautious with this warning. The 59 series has been proven to be reliable with any ammo fed to it. However, the ultimate answer is up to each person shooting. I am willing fire +P+ on occasion, but is not usually every session and not a lot of rounds. For full time range work I, personally wouldn't shoot only +P and +P+ rounds. I think I would stick with about 5% or less being a non-standard pressure. This is mainly to keep it runing longer, kind of like not running a car constantly just below its red line. Sure, it can take it, but it will reduce the mileage.
Ruger has a FAQ, and under P series pistols, it says

"Q:What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?

A:The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition. "

With my 439, S&W just didn't want to tell me shoot +P or +P+ all you want. He said finding a reliable self defense +P round and keeping it loaded for defense with them was just fine.