View Single Post

Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Liked 4,296 Times in 2,107 Posts

IMO, the whole lock thing is a bit overblown, however there are many who completely disagree. I find it convenient when visting family with small children. I can lock the gun, put it in it's case with the cable lock on that, and then store it well out of reach. BTW, any ammo gets locked in the trunk of the car. Try putting a cable locked revolver in it's case and the reason why I find the lock convenient is pretty obvious.

IMO, the lock is only an issue in the light weight J frames, in those guns there is a real potential for it self activating. However, as heavy as the model 29 is, even with a hot 44 Magnum it probably doesn't have a high enough rate of rotation during recoil so self activate. Especially in the hands of a skilled shooter with the ability to restrain the muzzle flip, which probably describes most 44 Magnum shooters.

As for the 29 Classic, as I understand it this model is equipped with the interchangeable front sight, which I think is a marvelous system. I have this type of sight on my 610 and it makes changing out the front sight a one minute affair. Makes it really easy to select a sight that suits what your doing with it at that time.

Personally, I already know that my recoil limit is 357 Magnums in my 620, so I have no desire at all for the 29. However, if I were 20 years younger, and didn't have issues with my wrists, the 29 Classic would be very interesting. If can handle the recoil and want a 29 Classic, I can only say you should go out and get one. In the past year I've purchase 2 new S&W's with the lock and both have been superb guns. Well made, accurate, with a great trigger, and I haven't had that lock self activate even once.

Quite simply, S&W is currently building very good revolvers. If you want one, go for it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: