View Single Post

Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,699 Times in 2,623 Posts

I am really sorry to learn this. Culp was a guy I kept hoping would get some decent comeback cameos in modern films, but he seems to have been content with light roles in episodes of TV shows I didn't watch.

I want to give a tip of the hat to Culp's underappreciated movie, "Hickey and Boggs." He directed in addition to taking a lead role. He and Cosby played against type by taking on roles that were a long way from their "I Spy" characters. Kind of dated in its themes and settings, but still some great dialog from a couple of deadpan, cynical burned-out semi-losers who still foolishly believe that the world can be a better place than it is.

I also liked his portrayal of the gunslinger with weak eyes in "Hannie Caulder," an otherwise forgettable western with Raquel Welch eventually taking revenge on Ernest Borgnine.

Farewell, Hoby. There were a lot of westerns on late-'50s TV, but Trackdown is one of the few that I remember with appreciation.

I don't even want to mention remaining actors whose screen presence I liked because I am afraid I might jinx them.