View Single Post

Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 PM

Liked 9,091 Times in 3,362 Posts

Good move on getting a chamber cast.

Here's a few recent ones I did on rifles that were of suspicious chamberings for various reasons.

Top one was a very nice German single shot that the owner wondered why 32-40 wouldn't chamber all the way. He bought it as a 32-40,,the guy at the show said it was!
It's in 8.14x46R caliber which was very popular target cartridge in Germany in the early 1900's. Beautifully cut scallop top lands on the rifling.
Cases can be made by shortening 32-40WCF. The bore dia is an uncommon .319 but is a lead bullet cartridge anyway so accomodations can be made. At least he didn't get a 32-40 reamer and have at it.

Second is from a beautiful Steyr 1902 Sporter. Kind of a rare rifle. Thought to originally have been a 9x57 and then rechambered to 35 Whelen. Makes sense since the bore diameter would be OK, just a bigger cartridge. Trouble was that the accuracy was almost non-existant.
The chamber and bore cast revealed a 35 Whelen chamber all right. But the original bore is .365. So the original chambering was probably 9.3x57,,not 9x57.
About the only possibility is to go to a 9.3x62 but thats going to stretch the limits of the magazine length with the heavier .366 bullets.

Number three...British Lee Speed Sporter in 303British,,maybe.
Crisp mirror like bore in a worn rifle. Chamber and bore cast shows a rebore to .358 caliber and the original neck of the 303 chamber opened accordingly. A 35-303 now. Not a bad cartridge but something nice to know before buying or shooting.

#3 cast came out about the best, nicely filled out and smooth, etc. I got #1 a bit too hot when I poured it and #2 ,,the barrel metal was a little cool so it didn't fill completely w/ some small inclusions.
All more than good enough to use for ID and measurements. They can really tell you the story.

All made with Cerrosafe metal and back into the pot they go when it gets low. The stuff melts at about 212F and is reusable indefinetly. This stuff is over 35 y/o.

Let us know what your gunsmith finds out on your rifle..!

Last edited by 2152hq; 03-25-2010 at 10:16 PM.