View Single Post

Old 03-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Well, it's nice to see a thread that, for a change, doesn't consist of a lot of bashing of Smith's newer products. Hopefully, I won't jinx things with my comments.

I presently own two modern Smiths, a 686-6 and a 625JM, both lock equipped. Each has its non-pinned barrel, its MIM parts, and they're both stainless steel guns. They are, in a word, fantastic. My 686 is my most accurate handgun, the one I take to the range any time I want to try my luck at 25 yards. The 625JM is just a blast to shoot, unfailingly accurate and as rugged as a tank.

The only thing that's kept me from buying a 629 or a 29 Classic is that I'm not a reloader. .44 magnum is definitely a reloader's round given the high cost of commercial ammunition. I'm fortunate, however, in that I have friends with 629s (no 29 Classics, however) and I get to shoot them every once in a while. What great guns!! And, not bad to shoot, even with fairly hot magnum rounds when equipped with the right grips.

I'm a lover of fine wooden grips and most of my handguns are equipped with them. I'm particularly fond of Nills, which, for my money, are the most ergonomically right grips out there. Pretty, too. Unfortunately, they ain't cheap. I've got sets of Nills right now on two of my .357s, including that 686-6. However, if I were to have a 629 or a 29, I'd almost certainly put a set of Hogue rubbers on it. They're ugly, yes indeed, but they soak up the recoil better than anything else out there.
The Following User Likes This Post: