Thread: New S&W 617?
View Single Post

Old 03-27-2010, 10:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyimo View Post
It's all up to you as 22 revolvers are hot right now and costly and if you heart is set on a stainless 617 and you want to buy it new then unless you are willing to wait you will have to keep looking and pay what the market is asking.

Would I pay $200 more then market for one, No, I'd look for a pristine model 17 or 18 for about $200 less and shoot the **** out of it after I bought it. They clean up real well and are great shooters.

I bought these two a couple of weeks ago at a gun show for $550 each and both are in 98% condition.
I added the target grips as the came with magna's.
17-4

18-4
Thanks for the advice. I am not willing to pay $200 over price either. I should have caught them at Davidson's. There are a number of local's that will get them to me for $670, but they have to get them first!

I am set on a 617, preferably 10 shot. If I can't get this done before May I think I will start looking used.

Right now I'm just gearing up for the outdoor shooting season. Last year I probably spent about $400/month on ammo. A lot of .223 and 9mm, a little of 45, .308, 12 gauge, and various revolver cartridges. Thought I'd grab some serious 22 lr gear to bring down ammunition expenses. Right now I have a Ruger 22/45 RP with paclite, Ruger 10/22, and S&W M&P 15-22. Still hoping to secure a 22 lr suppressor (need to get moving on this pronto) and S&W 617 in the upcoming 1-2 months.

The primary reason I prefer the 617 to others is that it seems like it would handle most similarly to my 686+ 6".

BTW nice hardware. Davidson's does have numerous model 17 and 18 in stock right now. What's the difference between them; just barrel length?