View Single Post

Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,307 Times in 352 Posts

All Model 53 barrels say '22 Magnum' on them, since the caliber is the 22 Remington Jet Magnum. It can be a bit confusing.

The inserts are chambered for 22LR and any extra cylinders encountered are also in 22LR. The Jet bullet is of the .222 diameter.

As for Jet ammo, Remington stopped making factory Jet ammunition in about 1990. Old Western Scrounger used to make it, and it was quite expensive, but good stuff. Original Remington boxes show up from time to time at gun shows, but they too can be quite expensive. If you are planning on shooting the Jet round a lot, reloading is the way to go. RCBS makes the dies for it and it takes a regular 357 shell plate. If you don't plan to shoot the Jet rounds too often, and just want to know what they are like, then either pick up a box of old Remington ammo for fun or call Old Western Scrounger.

I have shot my Model 53 with the inserts and it is quite accurate. The empty cases come out easily with a fingernail. It's not the quickest way to shoot 22LR, but it does work. Just make sure the hammer select switch is in the correct position for rimfire, since the Jet round is a centerfire cartridge.

I have a lot of fun shooting my Model 53 from time to time. They are conversation starters at the range, since they sound like a 357, but leave tiny 22 holes in the target!

The price on the one you saw seem fair, but if it has been there awhile, there might be room for negotiation.

Good luck!
The Following User Likes This Post: