Thread: 1969 Model 31
View Single Post

Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1969 Model 31

First off i am new to the site so Hello from Tennessee.

I run a pawn shop in Middle TN , Every once and a while we get some interested firearms come though our shop , Earlier this week i had a much older female customer come in inquiring about selling a S&W Model 31 , I am not much a collector when it comes to revolvers so at first i was not really thinking about wanting it for my self but i asked to to look at it , Much to my surprise she pulled out an original S&W box wrapped in some cloth and she handed me the box i noticed the box was very clean so i opened it up and also noticed it had all the original paper work and even a parts price list and a brochure , As i started looking at the gun i was amazed at the condition it was at no less than 100% and she had also told me it had never been fired or carried , I asked her about the history on it , She told me that her brother had purchased it new in 1969 as the original owner and kept it stored the time he owned it , She mentioned he had recently passed away and that he left her a box of his belongings and the gun was in the box with the stuff , I was kind of shocked that this gun was purchased in 1969 (I also believe it was manufactured in 1969) and had been kept in such immaculate condition , There is not one scratch or blemish on the gun or the grips , She told me she had no idea what the value of it was and would really just like for me to make her an offer on it which i did and i gave her a pretty reasonable amount she was happy with.

Now that i actually have the firearm i have been researching a little bit on this model and cant seem to find much on it and i cant seem to find any for sale.

My question is: In this condition what is this model 31 worth?
It is a blued short barrel (Not sure of exact length) .32 Long with the factory wood grips w/gold emblems.

I figured S&W forums could help me like i said i am not much of a smith or revolver collector for that matter.

Thanks for the help.