View Single Post

Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
Ok, I wrote this one before but here it is again. When I was a kid at the oshkosh wisconsin museum they had a 1851 colt navy that was taken off cole younger when the party came through oshkosh on the way to northfield minnesota. I belive it probley was a vagrancy thing and "surreties for keeping the peace". After the northfield robberies they got looking at the gun and found burnt in the flap of the holster, "To cole younger from Maj. Quantrell"! The daughter of the police chief had donated or lent the gun to the muesum and I seen it and the holster a number of times back in the 50s and 60s.
About 15 years ago I went home and went to see it again. It was gone. The museum had a fire, (Not to the ground, but bad enough), was closed for a year or two for rennovation. Now they had removed a ton of guns and other stuff and went to large murals with just a few guns on display in several rooms. I remember when they had roughly 400 various guns on display, now all through the muesum there probley was 15?
I looked up the currater and asked him where the younger gun was. He definetly was not a gun man and just shrugged and said, oh, I suppose it must be in storage! (We are probley talking about a damp basement here!)
A old secatary heard me and said, "I remember that gun!" She said we used to sell picture postcards of it in the gift shop.
I had her search and she did find me one. I had it around the house for years. I have since moved and been trying to find it again, and if I ever do, I will scan and post it.
I belive a lot of bleeding hearts and do gooders donate stuff to museums all over the country like that, and truth is many times stuff like that gets put in a damp basement with cobwebs by some pencil necked currateor that isnt into guns or whatever!

Merrill-

I know that you have some spelling problems. Was Quantrill's name one of those? If the spelling that you gave is really what was on that holster, I think it may be a fake. If it was spelled correctly, that gun and holster should be a national treasure. Alas, guns seldom achieve that in modern museums.

We'll never know for sure which gun Bob Ford used on Jesse James. Or, find the knife that the Mexicans took from Jim Bowie's body at the Alamo. A pity.

T-Star