View Single Post

Old 04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralmerril View Post
Texas star, read closly the link I provided. It also says maj quantrell or whatever spelling was on the holster. I cant be sure of the spelling I gave, just from handeling the gun and holster close to 50 years ago.
Here is what I THINK happened. We know younger rode with quantrill.
I belive quantrill presented him the gun. Oshkosh was about the end of the railroad track north in those days. I belive the james-younger gang put their horses on the train and rode it to oshkosh, took the horses cross country to hit northfield. In my area of wisconsin in those days people just didnt open carry THAT much. I had ancesters there in that time period too. I belive younger was open carrying and no doubt was challanged on sureitys of keeping the peace and relieved of his shooting iron. I belive the gang rode west from there to northfield, and just after the law found the inscription burnt on the inside flap of the holster and put things together. Even the museum write up is a little hazey that I found, however they seemed clearer on the story in the 50s when I seen the gun.
Thanks, Merill. I note that Quantrill's rank is usually given as Captain, but the holster said, Major? Another puzzler. But I think your theory is correct.

T-Star