View Single Post

Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 PM

Liked 36 Times in 10 Posts

I started handloading back in the late sixties but out of curiosity I bought a couple of boxes of the Super Vel ammo (around 1970 or so).I found it to be good stuff.They finally went under due to competition.

Handgun shooters have profited in many ways ever since because of them.The big ammo makers were only marketing what they thought would sell the best and had no interest in broadening their selection.The popularity of Super Vel changed all that.

As an aside,their lightweight jacketed hollow and soft point bullets driven to good velocities opened my eyes.The gun scribes at that time(as well as many today)criticized such loads continuously but I discovered their worth rather quickly.Such ammo is not ideal for every use and no one claims they are.However,the condemnation by many (then and now) is something that I ignore.Too many gun rag gurus(then and now) are placed on pedestals and they don't deserve it.Yes,I know that I'm digressing.

At any rate,Super Vel changed what the market had available and handgun shooters have definately benefited from it.