View Single Post

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, sometimes forums are useless.

You ask a simple question and get everybody's axe they have ground into into a razor blade. Some people love to show off how rich they think they are with condescension of any non-professional work (Dremel tools are the reason I don't buy used guns. If you have to ask how, you are not qualified.). I wonder if they realize that professional means you get paid; it does not mean the work performed is better. Who bakes better bread your wife or Hostess? What about hookers? Are they better?

Some people have no clue of what they are doing (It's easy anybody can do it.).

Some people are totally illogical (Don't let a Dremel in the same room with a gun.). This may be good advice if the word "Dremel" was switched with oxygen, which is actually harmful to a gun.

As somebody that has done this successfully (improved feeding function), I would advise caution and use a mild abrasive. Jeweler's rouge (the stuff that comes with the Dremel tool) is about as strong as you want to get and you risk changing the geometry and dimensions of the ramp if you are careless or aggressive. Using a q-tip with toothpaste (which has a very mild abrasive that breaks down) is probably too cautious. A very good product is 3M Micro-abrasive, which is extremely consistent and effective if a bit of it is stuck to the end of a dowel. You can get it from auto refinish places. Otherwise use a q-tip with rouge or valve lapping compound or some other very fine abrasive. Even a finger may work well. You don't want to remove any more metal than is necessary to improve the finish. Also motion in the direction of bullet travel is good. Do not make cross-wise marks; they should be up-down motion. If the pistol works fine, then why polish it?

Better yet, read up on feed ramp polishing from an authoritative book. Public libraries often have this stuff, especially vocational college libraries. That way you will know that the person giving you advice knows more than you do, which is more important than just about anything else in this situation. That's how I figured out a method, and even then there is disagreement among established gunsmiths.
The Following User Likes This Post: