View Single Post

Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Liked 95 Times in 40 Posts
Default Hey Erich!

Last fall I posted #55 and #84 on this thread about my 120 grain truncated cone load for the 380. Unfortunately the penetration test proved that it was way too much of a good thing. Shortly there after I had gall bladder surgery, hunting seasons started, etc., so I didn't get to follow up in a timely manner.

But I came across a different gun that is almost exactly the same dimensions a Taurus 709 Slim in 9mm. This really intrigued me and I eventually researched and handled one and then purchased it. The picture seems a little weird as the lines I drew to capture the dimensions really do contain the guns they don't "color outside the lines" as they appear. In other words they really do fit in the dimensions noted. I have thoroughly tested this gun and it is now my replacement for the 380.

The Speer Gold Dot load of 124 grain clocks at 1047 fps and performs well in my recent penetration test. Fully penetrates 3 gallon water jugs, makes a puncture in #4 but is contained in #3. This bullet beautifully mushroomed to .564.