View Single Post

Old 04-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
I think the reason so many people hated them was because they didn't understand them. They are a specialty round and not intended for everyday use, like many of the other experimental offerings that were a good idea but died anyway.
I think these were indeed specialty rounds. Based on the way they perform, I would have to guess that the intent was to give multiple hits at very close range with limited penetration. I don't think they were intended as any sort of general purpose ammunition.

There have been so many theories about "stopping power" over the years. (There still are: look at any thread about light vs heavy 9mms)

One theory, which is still around, is that multiple hits, close together in time and location, are more effective than a single hit that might have greater energy and/or greater expansion. You can see this concept played out at just about any non-bullseye pistol match. It's the whole idea behind the double tap.

There were problems with this load related to bullet jump in light weight revolvers. Trusting my memory (which is often a mistake), they were OK in a M-36, but would jump just about every time in a Colt Cobra.

I tested some of the 38 SPL multiball. Here is the link, if anyone is interested in the numbers.

Any one remember this stuff?

Charles