View Single Post

Old 04-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett248Vista View Post
Very sweet in both config's! I really love the A2 front sight! Looks like that project turned out perfect!

Now I need to get a rail riser! After shooting longer range this weekend I realized I am not comfortable with the scope right on the flat top, it's just too low.
Brett,

Thanks. I was away from the forums for a few hours 'cause I was at the range.

As much as I enjoy firing the bigger cousins of the 15-22, nothing compares to heading up to the indoor range 15 minutes away and plinking away 'till closing time at 10 pm. [My various handguns and my Marlin 1894C ("John Wayne" lever action) keep the 15-22 from getting lonely].

I own a couple of real rifles, but the outdoor ranges in these parts are more than an hour away (with no traffic, a rarity), so those trips are few and far between.

The nightime hours of the indoor range allow me to come and go without raising a fuss in the neighborhood. Here in liberal suburban northern Virginia my neighbors are very fine people, but many of them don't "care" for guns in the first place, and most of the rest are still jumpy 8 years after the DC sniper rampage. One peek at an AR-style rifle outside its case--or maybe just the case itself--could have SWAT on my lawn.

Enough politics.

The riser really makes a difference. With the stock saddle in place the riser positions the scope perfectly. And I think it just looks better.

I've got a high-end free float handguard to install, and an M4 carbine handguard. All I need is to figure out how to remove the existing handguard. [See my plea for help in the instructional-video thread.]

With the M4 guard, I've got a bolt installed in the back of the A2 sight (where the gas tube would be) that I'll use to attach the sight to the end cap of the handguard (which already has a hole for the gas tube). That should make the front sight even more stable.

Cool pictures....and some do-it-yourself instructions....will follow.