View Single Post

Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 PM

Liked 6,562 Times in 2,597 Posts

Part of this is as old as the hunter gatherer. The more you had the better your chance of survival. When young I was a deadly marble player and had gallons of marbles in the barn loft. I traded extra marbles for pocket knives and old baseball cards. Both in boxes in the barn loft. dad sold the farm and did not let us know. The new owner wouldn't let my brother and I get our stuff. Later I had a great knife collection, old Winchesters, Case, Remington and others. I took a beating when I sold it to buy land. I had a mixed collection of long guns, pre-64's, Parkers, AH Fox, Westly Richards and Cogswell and Harrison plus some Brownings. I ended up selling all 1 at a time in child custody battle and divorce. Yes I got the kids and yes they wanted to be with me, that part was worthwhile. I feel I am an accumulator as much as a collector. I swore I would never have another collection. Soon I was up to 10 really nice pre 64's and lost interest. When I see an A Grade Parker I remember the one I used to own. I do not have a desire to own another. I sold 2 70's and bought Kimber 7mm08's, I sold another and bought a couple of Smiths, I sold another today and bought a couple more Smiths. I find the handguns more rewarding to own and fun to shoot. I never went out and about on the farm without a hand gun. Full Circle? I will not own a Smith "collectable rare NIB type" as I like shooters and users. I could not be trusted with a NIB safe queen. I am picking up various types of Smith's. 45 LC, 3 in 357, 44 mag, 2 22 Masterpieces. The only model I see that has the lure to make me aquire multiple variations is the pesky 27 or perhaps some day a pre 27 in 5". But now my drive is to enjoy the guns I acquire and do not feel driven to own one of each. To each his or her own. To some folks being a collector may be owning one old family gun or one may feel the need to own all S&W's made in 1955. Either is the individuals perogative. Price nor condition determines ones status if one feels they are a collector. I've accumulated 6 or 7 Smith's in the last several months. Collection? Naw, accumulating is for me, besides making an excellent trade and coming out way ahead is as much fun as running the pot and taking everyones marbles.