View Single Post

Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

I think you can throw out that "copper blue" finish, White Balance in the image he set you is WAY off. As for the particulars, my first thought was "Mountain Gun". Looking at my SCS&W it appears that the model 29 was released in a "Mountain Gun" in this configuration, so my first impression seems correct. However, there was also a model 29 in this configuration released to members of the S&W Collectors Association as a 25th anniversary special. To determine which your friend has, the 25th anniversary guns had an engraved sideplate, so a look at the right side is essential and so is the serial number. What is odd is that the Mountain guns should have the new style cylinder release and be equipped with the Lock. That leaves either the S&WCA special or a distributors special feature model. However, I can't tolerate the recoil of a 44 Magnum so only have a passing interest in the model 29, so I am no expert. Looking through my chapter on the 29, tapered barrels are quite rare until the recent mountain gun. IMO, having it lettered may be in order.

I find the increased inertia of the heavy barrels now so popular to be an impediment in rapid fire and back when revolvers were the primary choice for a defensive weapon, tapered barrels were the norm, not an exception. If my wrists could take the hit of the 44 Magnum, that particular model 29 would be my first choice. So, if your friend is looking to sell, and you can take the recoil, it may be a good idea to think about buying it. IMO, what you are looking at is probably the ideal 44 Magnum, light enough to carry all day and distinctly "nimble" in the hand with a sight radius long enough for practical accuracy out to 25 yards. Loaded with 44 spl. it'll also be a great choice for bowling pin matches.

As for price, condition looks to be great in that rather poor pic. However, I don't know enough about the model 29 to even make a guess.