View Single Post

Old 05-04-2010, 07:08 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,827 Times in 1,526 Posts
Default Informal Pictorial Essay - K-38 Masterpiece (and Model 14) variations

It's been awhile, but here is the Third in my series of "Informal Pictorial's"......

The truth has - unfortunately - started to get out, the K-38 Masterpiece is truly that - a world class Masterpiece. This model is an outstanding shooter, a great piece of S&W history, a finely crafted work of art..... For the longest time, they languished on dealers shelves while shooters and enthusiasts rushed to acquire the more popular (and powerful) .357 Magnum models. I'm concerned about the reputation getting out, the remaining guns out there are only going to be harder to find and higher in $$ as the word gets spread.... bummer as there are a few more I need to fill out the collection.

This essay will include guns spanning all three revolver time categories, so I'm posting it in the middle area.
Starting off with a couple "paper" scans.... Note that after Model numbering was introduced, the K-38 Masterpiece was also assigned the Model 14 nomenclature, in addition to, not to replace the Masterpiece name, FYI.

Note below, the K-38 Masterpiece designation on the original guns, but when the non-tapered wide rib barrel was offered, the factory made both versions concurrently for awhile, calling the newer heavier barrel profile the "K-38 Heavy Masterpiece". This continued until the narrow rib, tapered barrel versions were discontinued and then the name resorted to the original - K-38 Masterpiece.

Interesting old flyer/ad noting how the K-38 Heavy Masterpiece was used to set a World Record in November, 1954. Note that the gun shown has the non-relieved Diamond Targets as well as the Target Hammer, but standard trigger (just right!)

The following pics will show a chronology of gun configurations starting with my earliest example (1948 gun) through the non-lock Model 14 variations (up to M14-7). Hopefully these pics will show how the finish evolved over time, as well as several examples of hammer/trigger configs, trigger stops, barrel profiles and grips (to include some aftermarket grips shown on later model guns that came originally with rubber examples).
Unfortunately, in the early non-model numbered guns my earliest is 1948, and I'm missing examples for 1950, 1953 and 1954 (the search continues )

Enjoy.

Last edited by SmithNut; 12-10-2022 at 12:53 PM.
The Following 87 Users Like Post:
.41 cal, 22/32 JDF, 357-RevolverGuy, 4barrel, 500SWArg, 51ti, 72b40, 992B, AQBill, bilbo, Black_Talon, Bob L, Bohonkie, bracebeemer, Bumpus13, Cazmont, Chubbo, Chukar60, ckeller, Collects, Daisyman, Dave.357, Donald Paul, Engine49guy, Eremita, EricR, fastwally, Foole, Frank121, Frank46, glowe, goodwood248, Groo01, Gstearns, Guero, huthike, HWayne, Iggy, IWK2HT, James E. McCall, JeffNW, JH1951, JiminMaine, JohnRippert, K Frame Keith, kframeman, Klaatu, Kneedtospeed, kryten67, LB001, LCR, Marlin57M, Maximumbob54, Memphis, mike from st pete, MixmodelA, Moo Moo, mxbob, NB4EST, Ohsheepdog, Old Seabee, Ole Joe Clark, ParadiseRoad, PerryLane, policerevolvercollector, red9, Richard Simmons, rolandj, rubiranch, shawn mccarver, sigp220.45, silvertip43, Smithbug, stroker, Super Dave, swowner123456, tacreload, Terminator44, Thinnes, tipoc, Vidd, vytoland, weakhand luke, weatherby, wnwitzell, wx7b, YeshuaIsa53