View Single Post

Old 05-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Liked 9,146 Times in 3,378 Posts

They run hot and cold in the QC dept. Some are very nice,,others not so very nice. The 1911 look alikes go way back in the Llama mfg lineup to the 1930's and like other Spanish semiautos have the common differences from the Colt.

Less than stellar heat treating and somewhat crude fitting are found on the poorer examples while suitably tough steel and fitting are found on the others.
Alot of cottage industry & outsource work was used in the Spanish gun trade at one time and that led to some of the poorer work and a life long bad reputation for overall poor quality.

I've had a number of the Llama small 'Especial' size .22, 32 and 380 semiauto pistols. Small 1911 Colt lookalikes. Only one was what I would have called poorly fitted inside and the outside finish was somewhat shody. The rest that were anywhere from WW2 mfg to mid 60's were nicely made and shot well. Wish I had kept one of the .22's.

GatorFarmer's correct in that Llama is usually placed third in line, with Astra and Star in front as far as quality goes.
All three companies are gone now. Llama was at one time bought up by Astra in an attempt to save the company .