Originally Posted by AKsRule View Post
Ok.

It's fun to talk about guns and Doomsday scenarios but there
is also reality.

As a responsible PA citizen and rural resident/hunter I feel I
should post the following.

PA Game Commission

Subchapter C. Destruction of Game or Wildlife in Self-Defense

2141. Killing game or wildlife to protect person.

(a) General rule. - It is unlawful for a person to kill any game or wildlife as a means of protection unless it is clearly evident from all the facts that a human is endangered to a degree that the immediate destruction of the game or wildlife is necessary.

(b) Report, safekeeping and investigation. - A person killing any game or wildlife under this subchapter shall report the event to an officer as soon as possible following the incident but in no case later than 24 hours, provide for safekeeping of the game or wildlife intact at the place where it was killed and be available for interview by the officer. The person killing the game or wildlife shall answer, without evasion, any pertinent questions of the officer making the investigation.

(c) Exoneration. - At the conclusion of any investigation when any game or wildlife is allegedly killed as protection to a person, the officer may exonerate the person for the otherwise unlawful killing of the game or wildlife. In all cases the officer shall seize and dispose of the game or wildlife as required by this title or upon instructions of the director.

(d) Prosecution. - Any officer making an investigation when game or wildlife was allegedly killed as a protection to a person shall proceed with prosecution as though the game or wildlife was unlawfully killed if the officer is dissatisfied with the explanation of the person killing the game or wildlife or if the physical facts of the killing do not support and sustain the facts alleged by the person killing the game or wildlife.

(e) Penalties. - A violation of this section relating to:

(1) Threatened or endangered species is a misdemeanor of the third degree.

(2) Elk or bear is a summary offense of the first degree.

(3) Deer is a summary offense of the second degree.

(4) Bobcat or otter is a summary offense of the third degree.

(5) Wild turkey or beaver is a summary offense of the fourth degree.

(6) Any other game or wildlife is a summary offense of the fifth degree.

In a way it's odd that the animals that can pose the greatest threat to a human carry the most severe penalty for a "bad shooting". However, they are also probably highest on the list for disireability as trophies so it's probably fairly practical.

Fortunately for me in one way, I am close enough to the city of Detroit that bears aren't an issue, criminals on the other hand are a concern. It's why I never leave the house without my gun. While my home is in a good area with a good PD, at about 1 mile north of the Detroit border stuff does spill over.