View Single Post

Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM

Liked 1,501 Times in 442 Posts

Guess it is just me. I cross paths with black bears constantly while fishing and hunting, even BBQing in the back yard, and just consider it part of living here. I have bird feeders out, but take them in at night, and keep the trash in the garage. I discourage those I encounter in the yard (usually only takes a good holler, though I have fired a "warning shot" from an upstairs window before, and did deliver a whump to the ribs of one with a rubber blunt-tipped arrow), but I certainly don't feel overtly threatened because one happens to pass by. I would suggest an air horn pepper spray if anything, and understand the concern with your son, but you honestly stand a better chance of getting hit by lightning or having a tree fall on you than needing to defend yourself. A poorly placed shot from any handgun into a bear that was just passing by (no matter how close), is very probably only going to make the immediate situation worse. I guess it is a function of familiarity....I'm sure anyone from the South would roll around laughing at MY reaction to a snake!!!