View Single Post

Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jst1mr View Post
I'm sure anyone from the South would roll around laughing at MY reaction to a snake!!!
I live amongst hillbillies and red necks. We wear that title with pride. And as most southern folks are prone to do, we see a snake that even remotely looks like one that might be venomous, we just dispatch it. Post haste. Thats why here in Kentucky, the term snake is always considered in the past tense. "That were a nasty old slithering varmint".

Anyone leaving one alive is considered to be less than a man. Worse, they're also assumed to be a very poor shot or not handy with tools.

I live in a triangle roughly formed at the corners by Louisville, Lexington, and Covington. The three population centers of my state. The local wildlife folks around here state with complete certainty that there are no poisonous snakes in this area. They've similarly said there are no mountain lions, bears, or other interesting critters here. As you get down in the country a bit, the old timers just smile and laugh. They're laughing at how the commonwealth wastes our tax dollars, paying these fools who don't have open eyes.

On the OPs question....Us gun nuts are in awe at the chance and good reason to pick up another handgun. To me, it seems like you need one of the light weight Scandium magnums. Bottom of the considered guns would be the very fine 7 shot 386. It doesn't weigh much so you can have it on you at all times. Better would be the 329 44 magnum or the 357 41 magnum. These are carry guns, not shooting guns. They hurt with full house loadings. But they sure do shoot as hard as their bloated, overweight steel counterparts. I recommend them highly. In fact, I'd suggest buying all 3 if you can get your wife scared enough to allow it!