View Single Post

Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Liked 178 Times in 78 Posts

[QUOTE=Alk8944;135468320]First, I wouldn't be too concerned about Black Bears to begin with. There are fewer than 10 attacks on humans documented in the past century by Black Bears so it just isn't anything to be concerned about.

Well there have been 2 fatal attacks in East Tennessee in the last 10 years that spring to mind (1 young girl one elderly lady). Several back country camp sites in the Great Smoky Mountains Natl. Park have been closed recently due to AGGRESSIVE Black Bear activity. Are all the sociopath black bears in TN? 10 Black Bear attacks in the last century is uhm,...TOTAL BS, the author has obviously partaken of groovy 'shrooms.
Black Bear attack is a real danger, they are a top predator and are very well equipped to turn you into lunch. Many are fairly passive, even seeming as tame as a pet. Others are violent and territorial. Hard to tell them apart. The anatomy is very heavy and dense, they are tough physically and when they are angered they will fight to the death. A sow with cubs is one of the scariest things on land I can think of. IF you see or hear a bear cub, hit the road.
I would definitely get the bear spray, you don't want to kill the bear if you don't have to. Bears also don't like loud noises. One of my friends hooked a motion sensor up to a vacuum cleaner set in a metal wash tub. He watched a 400 lb bear got too close one night, and when the vacuum motor started beating the metal, the bear galloped off fast as a shot.
As far as the pistol, the .357 is ok if that is all you have, or can handle. My choice would be something in the .45acp/.44 Spec.-Mag area. Heavy bullets is what you want, and velocity doesn't have to be through the roof. Some I would suggest, a Horton 3" M-24/624, a S&W 696, the Nightguard .44, or any very reliable 1911.