View Single Post

Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 PM

Liked 734 Times in 300 Posts

S2, thanks for the pix. That cell phone camera still made the old war birds look great.

Rags, I guess it has been about 3-4 years ago since the USAF reclaimed the "Belle". They had her in a hanger at Millington NSA (formerly NAS) being dismantled and about to be crated up for the trip to WP when I got the private tour. The major part of the problem with keeping her in MEM was the fact that she was on static display in an open air environment and was subjected to vandalism on at least two occasions that I am aware of. Another problem was a few (very few) members of the Memphis Belle Society wanted to return her to flying capabilities, a BIG NO NO in the eye's of the USAF and strickly verboten in the original sales contract Memphis and the USAF signed way back when.

S2, thanks again for the pictures. I guess I'll have to make another trip to WP the next time I have to fly to Cincinnati. Come to think of it I'm flying to CVG at the end of the month to pickup one of my nieces and her BF. They will just have to endure an extra 15 minute flight to MGY so I can get another looksee. After all, they are flying for free and don't have to worry about booking/paying for airline tickets.

Thanks again,

Class III