View Single Post

Old 05-12-2010, 09:32 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokester653 View Post
All of the people that said to get it while you can... Buy it up.... Its the new gold.... It won't be here tommorow... Its going to be banned.... You know the people that pretty much created a big panic. Seems now that things have calmed down I can get all the ammo I need and can actually get to the range. Just a little rant..
Yeah, I can get all the ammo I need, too, but at twice the price of five years ago. There are still shortages of certain calibers, namely .45acp and .380 in this particular area. A little more .45acp seems to be showing up at WM at what is now considered a reasonable price. My local gun emporium has had plenty of .45acp for the last six or seven months, but at about 50% higher than WM, when WM has it.

If you are an avid shooter and don't have an ammo acquisition plan in place, then you are very short-sighted. Even if there are no more severe shortages, a purchase plan will help with just regular old inflation. I bought a bunch of primers back in 93-94-95 when the rumors of limited supplies and additives that would limit shelf-life were rampant. As it turned out, those rumors were groundless. Imagine what an idiot I feel like when I break out a brick of large-pistol primers marked $10.99. I really feel like a fool when I dig back in the safe and bring out a brick of .22 Thunderbolts marked $7.99, or a box of UMC .45acp marked $8.99.

As I reported in another thread, I bought a 250 round box of UMC .45acp for $90. tax included earlier this week. That figures to $18.00 per 50 rounds. I will try to buy at least a pack of those per month while they are available at that price. Meanwhile, I still have a case or two I am shooting from that I paid $8.99 per 50.

You rant all you want to about us hoarders that caused the panic. I will keep buying a little ammo every month as a hedge against inflation, against shortages, or for when the S does indeed hit the F.

Last edited by redlevel; 05-12-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo