View Single Post

Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
I

S&W allows a choice in their current pistols, so just pick the one you want.

For action pistol competitions, you do NOT want a magazine safety. I was once grabbed by a senior IPSC RO who did not understand why I was putting an empty magazine back into a Hi Power to drop the hammer. They expect you to drop the slide, drop the hammer, holster, and get out of the way, and don't want to hear about magazine disconnects. I put a cylinder and slide trigger in the Hi Power (it does not have the magazine disconnect)

Arguing whether the magazine "safety" truly adds safety is like arguing politics: avid proponents vs avid opponents is not a pretty sight, and not much information passes. In spite of what you hear from the devoted, magazine disconnects have both prevented and caused accidents. I personally know a fellow who killed his washer by putting an empty magazine into an "empty?" gun and testing the trigger. Dropping the magazine in a retention struggle has prevented shootings.

You pays your money and you makes your choices.
The only way that a mag disconnect CAUSED an accident, is by somebody intentianlly pulling a trigger with a mag in the gun. That person must be an idiot. Why would you assume the chamber is unloaded?

I'm sure a few accidents have been caused by having a mag disconnect, but FAR MORE have been prevented. Hey, a few people have been killed because their seatbelt prevented them from getting out of a burning or sinking car, but WAY MORE have been saved by those seatbelts.