View Single Post

Old 05-15-2010, 06:45 AM

Liked 8,875 Times in 2,562 Posts

Hi Fred,

I've no experience in working on shootings with MagSafe rounds. I would be concerned about adequacy of penetration with MagSafe, Glaser, or other pre-fragmented rounds. These are not something I'd ever choose to use to protect myself.

Back in the late '80s, though, I was totally sold on the concept of "energy-transfer" being essential to "stopping power." (I'm still a bit resentful of that.) In every shooting case that I've worked on and learned enough about to talk about, the actual mechanism for effecting a cessation of aggression seemed to be a lot more mundane: a hole through something vital that caused either the shutdown of the circulatory system (leading to oxygen deprivation) or else the shutdown of the central nervous system.

The .380 is certainly capable of making such a hole, but since the bullets it launches are so light and slow (relatively speaking), my main concern with these little guns is ensuring that the bullets can be placed precisely (targeting the specific vitals - I recommend studying human anatomy to be sure exactly where an attacker's heart/aorta is situated and to be aware of how the skull protects the brain: Gray, Henry. 1918. Anatomy of the Human Body ) and that those bullets don't stop for some reason before they make the required hole in the targeted vital area.

Hope you have a great weekend - everyone stay safe!
cheers, erich