View Single Post

Old 05-15-2010, 07:13 AM

Liked 64 Times in 23 Posts
Default Out of Work....Again!

I was within 2 days of completing my probation period at the Mental Health Counseling agency I had started working for when I was called into the office this past Thursday. I was told they were exercising their "employment at-will" rights and I had a choice of either resigning or being terminated.

They had never lived up to their promises of making the money they enticed me with, and many of their employees pad the hours they work which is reimbursed through Medicaid. It is not a very honest place to work, which unfortunately I found out after I started there.

Several friends have told me that "the place has a very bad reputation for how they treat their employees, but had hoped it would turn out better for me". While working there I discovered they do not reimburse for mileage, or meals for your clients.

The clients are all teens, poor, with varying degrees of mental/behavior/court problems. I had 3 cases and they all loved me. The parents and guardians all said that I had accomplished more in getting the kids turned around than had ever been done before. They all all up in arms over my being terminated.

The bottom line is, if you know of any potential employers near Roanoke, VA who could use a good employee with over 25 years as a Social Worker/Counselor who has skills in interviewing, case management, community resource procurement, assessment, and counseling skills please let me know.

Considering the economy I have a feeling that I will be having a long dry spell. I don't have a whole lot of money put away, but I think I can afford to hold onto my guns for a little while at least.

I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers. God bless you guys.

Steve