View Single Post

Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,872 Times in 2,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
The S&W designs do not require the magazine to be locked in place to fire. Failure to fully seat the magazine generally results in bang, whoops! Corrected by the same immediate action drill used in non disconnector equipped weapons where the magazine wasn't fully seated. Should you fail to seat the magzine sufficiently to activate the trigger, the disconnector probably prevented the magazine from hitting the deck after firing the chambered round. An event much harder to recover from than if the magazine is still in the well. Note: if there's a round in the chamber, you're doing a tactical reload, which is done from behind cover during a lull in the action. Where exactly is the threat?

I started out as an opponent of the device, accepted it as a necessary evil and have become a fan over almost 20 years.
My 6906 won't fire at all if the mag isn't fully seated. I just loaded the mag with snap caps and tried it. If it isn't fully seated with the audible click, the trigger won't operate.

I also note that it takes a fair amount of pressure to press the mag release, and even with the gun holstered, if the mag release is pressed, the mag ejects nearly 2 inches, to just past the 14 hole in the magazine (I use 5906 mags with the base plate adapter). All good features. If the mag release was somehow hit accidentally, the loud click and the mag ejecting out as far as it does would certainly not go unnoticed.

And I'm glad you brought up the tactical reload. Even if you decide to do it, you're not going to be doing it while you're exposed. You're gonna be doing it from cover. And i still believe that 99% of people in a shooting won't even think to do it. They'll just keep pulling that trigger.