View Single Post

Old 05-17-2010, 12:15 AM
US Veteran

Liked 576 Times in 280 Posts

I am sorry to read that your employment hasn't turned out well for you. I worked in the same field for about a decade before I retired due to health issues. I worked for a city CSB as a clinician. There was some protection for employees because it was a city agency. There were the usual poltics and favoritism/patronage that one finds in any such organization. I tended to focus on delivering services to my clients and was constantly frustrated that there seemed to be more value placed on neat and timely paperwork than on clinical outcomes. I had worked for a private agency that made their income mainly from Medicare funded clients and there was a good amount of unethical practices to outright fraud going on with some cases. I left after filing a complaint with Medicare.

Unfortunately, with the bad economic conditions and budget cuts being made by most state and local governments, human service agencies are prime targets for cuts. I know a few senior people in the public sector that have been laid off or had to take early retirement. This is a tough field to find employment in with a bad economy. I am glad to be out of that profession because of that. Perhaps you might consider a return to school and getting into another profession?...I wish you good luck.