View Single Post

Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 AM

Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

So, what exactly is a trained gun owner, and what is a responsible gun owner? I consider myself a responsible gun owner but I don't believe I am trained.

To me being trained means that you have attended a class such as Thunder Ranch, Front Sight, or something similar. I do not believe that everyone who wants to own a gun should have to go to one of these schools for training. Would they benefit from it, absolutely, that doesn't mean they are a moron and can't handle a gun safely without it.

I know the rules of gun safety, I practice drawing from concealment, tap rack drills, moving while firing, and so forth. I think this makes me more prepared and responsible but I do not consider myself "trained". If people follow gun safety rules then I do not think they need to be trained to be a safe and responsible gun owner.

I don't see how having one shot come from your gun in a life threating situation could possibly be worse than having no shots come from your gun. The argument that you wont know what to do from slide lock is silly. Practice by having a friend load your mags with snap caps randomly and do tap rack drills. If you do this you will have the motorskills ingrained into your body and it will be automatic problem solved.

Now on the other hand if someone pulls their mag disconnect equiped gun out to use it and the mag isn't fully seated and nothing happens when they pull the trigger how could this possibly be better than the other scenario? You still have a gun thats worth about as much as a rock, and if you panic like you seem to think everyone will you have the same problem as you would without the mag safety only you got no shots off instead of one. Again if you practice tap rack drills you have solved the same problem that the other guy had only you didn't get that first round off that may have stopped or slowed your attacker down enough to keep him from chopping you up with a machete.

So in my opinion the slide lock argument for the mag safety makes absolutly zero sense, and the only argument I can see for it is when an officer is fighting for or has already had his gun taken. Fine I can live with that if the police want them for this feature great for them. The situation in which this feature would be good for me I can not see at all, it's not as useless to me as the firing pin safety that I disabled on my 1911 but it almost is.
The Following User Likes This Post: