View Single Post

Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,861 Times in 2,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
I don't know why I am bothering since you are about 6 planets away from what i was saying.

First: This thread is about a mag safety correct?
Next: You say cops lives are saved by the mag safety, correct?

Finally: Are these cops trained to push the mag release to disable the gun in a fight? That would mean they are trained Right?

How many Non cops are trained to push a mag release in the event of a fight? So they are untrained right?

I never said a thing about shooting up the city and whatever your imagination has dreamed up.

BTW: On the topic of training and you trying to make me look like the problem. And you rambling about who should not own guns. The detroit swat team entered the wrong apartment this morning withflash bangs, There is a 7 year girl dead now, by a bullet from a swat members gun.

Work that into your idea of who should not have guns speech for us.
We weren't "trained" to hit the mag release. We were instructed in its use when we were issued our pistols. Quite frankly, it is pretty much instinct. Someone goes for your gun, you hand immediately flies to the weapon to retain it. We never ran drills or anything.

Secondly, Detroit is a high crime city. Raids like the one you mention occasionally have unfortunate resolutions. And since we don't know the circumstances of how that round was fired, I choose to wait until i have more facts before I castigate the officer. But your bias is shining right through this computer screen.

And I'm not trying to say who should have guns. i think any citizen with a clean record should be able to own and carry a gun. If you took the time to find out, you would find that most cops feel the same way.

And I never said only cops have been saved by the mag release. I said I know 2 who have. I'm sure many civilians have as well. i recall a special on HBO about guns. it was extremely biased (as you would expect from HBO), but one of the cases sticks to mind. 15 year old boy finds his Dad's Walther PPK. He and his friend go outside to shoot it, and let one round off across the lake. They take the mag out, and one kid (unschooled in the use of firearms, of course), points the gun at his friend and BLAM. DOA. My own friend is another. 2 years of a loaded gun sitting in a draw, and he thinks it's unloaded all that time. THAT is what I mean by "untrained". I'm not talking about some weekend warrior who goes to Blackwater or Thunder ranch and walks around with Molle gear all weekend. I'm talking about people who at the least have taken a basic NRA course, or been instructed by someone who has (like I plan to do with my son when he's old enough). You know several guys who hit the mag release on the draw, and one who forgot to take the safety off during a robbery. You know another who neglected to check the chamber of his weapon before pointing it at a dishwasher and firing a shot, and you expect anybody here to take your opinion as gospel? Those guys obviously are not competent in the use of firearms. You're gonna tell me that it was at some training class? Good. That's why those people are there. To have an instructor school them in the proper hand placement on the draw. Or maybe to advise them that the weapon they have chosen is not the right size for their hand, making it more likely that they will hit the mag release. I've seen some of those people in those classes. little old ladies or recently divorced women who are afraid of their ex's. Good for them that they are getting some instruction, but don't use them as examples of what could happen.

Mag releases have saved more people than have hurt them.