View Single Post

Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 AM
US Veteran

Liked 23,026 Times in 5,793 Posts
Default Two for one answers.

I carried one of two .357’s to work every day for 27 years, and I never felt out gunned. By the time my department replaced the issue M-19’s with autoloaders I was working investigations and had a certain amount of latitude in duty weapon choice. Over the years I have owned any number of high quality automatics and from time to time carried one of them as my “off shift” weapon, but I still prefer a quality .357 as my weapon of choice.

As for the F.B.I. gun battle in Miami.
1-Sadly some brave men died that day.
2- I have studied varying accounts of that tragedy, and I will NOT second guess what the agents did or did not do. They were the ones on the scene and took what they believed was the only course of action open to them at the time.
3- I will note that the shotgun was not brought into action until the fight was almost over. If I remember correctly all but three (3) of the agents were armed with S&W .357 revolvers. (The two (2) H.R.T. agents were armed with 9 M/M pistols) Yet none of the agent’s .357’s were loaded with .357 ammo, and the agents were shooting 38 special +P ammo. If Platt and Matix had been shot with .357 rounds would that had taken them out of the fight sooner, no one knows.
4- Matix was shot once in the right arm early in the fight that wound along with the fact by firing his Mini 14 directly in front of Matix; Platt took him out of the fight. Platt was wounded several times but was still able to continue the fight. Only the COURAGE and DEDICATION of Special Agent Edmundo Mireles, Jr. prevent Platt from temporally escaping.
The FBI’s actions after the shoot out was typical for any government agency, throw money at the problem do a study and the problem will end up going away. It’s sad that a number of brave Federal agents had to die before changes were to be made.