View Single Post

Old 05-18-2010, 10:12 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkymingeo View Post
Handguns stink even for personal defense, and are a joke for "combat". They're just easy to carry and conceal.
I recall a few years back when there was a "man with a gun" alarm in one of the big cities. It was Halloween, and some idiot had dressed up in robes with an Osama bin Laden mask and a cut-out-of-plywood silhouette AK-47. A camera truck responded with the officers, and there was video of two officers, Glops drawn, advancing on the underpass where the fool was reported to be. They arrested the idiot and all was well, but if it had been an actual bad guy with a real AK, there would have been two dead cops. I just shake my head when I see all the police video on the various shows where officers head into a confrontation with a known gunman with only handguns.

I served briefly as a Deputy and part-time small-City PD in the early seventies. I carried a Model 19, a Colt Diamondback, and a S&W Model 39 at various times. If I were suddenly called on to be an LEO today, and had a choice, my first choice would be a good mil-spec 1911A1 with high vis sights and 230 grain hardball, and second choice would be a Model 19 with 158 grain .357 ammo. I would want a carbine and a shotgun to be available within seconds in my patrol vehicle.