View Single Post

Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford57 View Post
Kraigwy makes the point that not all law enforcement takes place in the concrete jungle. The additional range and energy of a .357 might still be a deciding factor for rural law enforcement. That is also an environment in which an officer could literally wait the rest of his life for backup and so could benefit from having a full box of ammo on his Sam Browne. The decision has to be based on what is more likely to happen HERE, not what could possibly happen. (I suppose its possible to imagine multiple assailants driving vehicles at you simultaneously, thereby requiring the penetration of a .357 and the capacity of a high-cap auto, but likely?)

Would ANY cop today? Yes, I suspect some would, and with justification. Is it ever likely to make as much sense as it did 30 years ago for urban/suburban law enforcement? Not hardly. Too many advances in the reliability of autos and the effectiveness of their ammo, and too many whackos who are either ready to die or don't think they can.

I worked in the day of the with a straight stick and the revolver
NY reload. Most of us don't live in that world anymore.
GOOD thoughts !!

BTW, I, as you may have "noticed" I am of the "straight stick & revolver"era plus the Leather with "dump boxes" ( think dump on the ground in a situation ) I rode a very "large" rural area & back up was VERY iffy,Plus commo was a joke.

Even though MANY LEOs ride the "boonies" & back up is a "ways away", they (at least in my area) have better commo & equip. IMHO, it depends on the Officer & His/Her "preference, comfort zone, & training.

Today, if I were back on the "Job" it would still be my .357 mag., my shot gun ( 00 buck TAP ) & my SOCOM16 (7.62 NATO)

The Proffesor