View Single Post

Old 05-18-2010, 11:25 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,574 Times in 5,847 Posts
Cool

When there are only 200-500 of a firearm produced, not enough examples make it to the secondary market 11 years after production for a valid pricing trend to be established. There are some exceptions to that statement, like what has happened with the Bloodwork revolvers.

This brings it down to a personal decision. Are you willing to put down enough money to make the seller happy? Is the seller willing to take a small enough payment so you feel you got a good deal?

You mention a retail price of $850 at the time of issue. Remember that nobody buys any new S&W for retail price.

I have had one of these revolvers for close to a decade now. I bought mine used for $375. It is one of three 357 Magnum Model 640s that I currently own. I put the Uncle Miked boot grips on mine.

You do not mention of this lightly used firearm is complete with the original box, paperwork, tools, etc. For this example we will presume that it is complete.

You can somewhat extrapolate value from what other similar models are selling for. For example a used standard production 640s are now bringing $500+. How much more is a Performance Center gun worth? At least a few hundred. So you might want to start offering $650 for it and work your way up to a top end of perhaps $800.

Personally, if you offered me that full MSRP price of $850 you would not get me to sell mine. But I love it and carry it often.

What is your friend willing to take? Only you will be able to determine that.