View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 AM

Liked 176 Times in 78 Posts

I'm an old guy who started out with a revolver back in the day. I became a state certified firearms instructor and after a few years was lead instructor for my agency for over 20 years. I carried a Model 19, Model 66, and finally a Model 686 before we authorized autos in 1982.

I felt well armed with the 357 but it was problematic when the day came that required qualification with full power ammunition. Most normal people, cops included, have great difficulty shooting 357 magnum ammunition. Most can shoot 38s all day long but a qual with 357s will induce anticipation and a host of other problems in short order. A K or L frame loaded with the hot 357s had a lot of recoil, muzzle flash, and muzzle blast.

Even back in the old days most cops were not gun guys and most only went to the range when required by the job. Many never spent the time or effort to master the 357. Most agencies used 38s in guns chambered for 357. Like hollow points, magnums were not politically correct until in the 80s.

Last edited by akviper; 07-03-2010 at 01:59 AM.