View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 07:08 AM

Liked 2,639 Times in 607 Posts

I started my LEO career with the .357 magnum, in Model 27 guise. It saved my life one night and I still have strong emotional ties to that particular model and caliber. I've relied on all the major service calibers at one time or another, for both on and off duty use and find caliber selection to be the least important factor in the equation. There have been enough advances in bullet technology in the last decade that caliber debates are largely academic exercises.

While I'm a six-gunner at heart I have to admit the semi-auto is a tactically superior weapon. When approached from a logical and dispassionate angle there's no getting around it. Consequently, while I love my revolvers, all of my duty related weapons are semi-autos. If I had to carry that 27 into harms way again I wouldn't feel undergunned but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I do find it amusing when I talk to LEOs who can't handle the "snap" of a .40. I often wonder how they would have reacted back in the day when our guns were made of steel and said "magnum" on the barrel. I do miss the days when we stepped to the line during qualification and it was like the wrath of God being turned loose.

Last edited by Trooper224; 05-19-2010 at 07:12 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: