View Single Post

Old 05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
US Veteran

Liked 33,565 Times in 5,253 Posts

Wow, I almost feel obligated to respond to all the misinformation that gets thrown around about the 4/11/86 shootout in Miami.

The Bureau didn't go to semi-autos as a result of Miami. The change was well underway already. There were a couple of Smith 9mm present during the shooting, and Jerry Dove's 9mm launched the Silvertip that caused all the subsequent controversy.

As noted, it was SA Mireles' personally owned four inch 686 that brought things to a close. Not long after the shooting he began carrying a Sig 220.

There were long guns available. SSA McNeill had an 870, but elected to use his personally owned Model 19. With it, he stuck a bullet in Matix's face and effectively removed him from the gunfight. SA Mireles used his 870 after he was shot, but it was largely ineffective. Other agents in the rolling stakeout had MP5s and ARs, but they got to the scene after the shooting was over.

Somehow it has become chiseled in internet stone that the FBI blamed the whole thing on Jerry Dove's under-penetrating 9mm Silvertip. Not true. I came into the Bureau five years after the shooting, and the critique of every aspect was still on going. Changes were made in tactics, training, and equipment. Ammunition was a part of it, but a relatively small part. The Bureau took a look at all of its shootings, set a standard for performance based on the most likely scenarios, and began testing ammo to meet that standard. For us, penetration is important. We don't issue ammo to other agencies, so they are free to choose ammo that meets their needs. I'm happy with the 230 grain Golden Sabres they give me for my Sig, and the 180 grain bondeds I get for my baby Glock.

I started my LE career 27 years ago with a Model 15, and couldn't wait to get one of the fancy new semi-autos. I was later issued an auto, but continued to carry revolvers on occassion, until they were disapproved for carry a few years ago. I'll retire soon, and probably go back to carrying a revolver, but if I was given the responsibility of arming a police department I doubt I'd even give revolvers a serious look.

For anyone interested, there is plenty of reading to be found here:

Federal Bureau of Investigation - Freedom of Information Privacy Act

Its pretty much all there - backgrounds of the shooters, the weapons and ammo used (including serial numbers), photos, charts, and diagrams.

Last edited by sigp220.45; 05-19-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Fixed the spelling of SSA McNeill's name.