View Single Post

Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,106 Times in 255 Posts

OK, I followed the Reuters link. It was posted October 14th, 2009 (seven months old). No where does it say that it has been signed by anyone from the USA. All it says is:

"The United States reversed policy on Wednesday and said it would back launching talks on a treaty to regulate arms sales as long as the talks operated by consensus, a stance critics said gave every nation a veto." (Emphasis added)

Backing the launch of talks only, that any one of the attending nations could veto.

And, like P@R Fan said "The US president does not have the power to enact this. It would require a 2/3 vote of congress to pass." That is the constitutional requirement.

Even if it was signed without first going through the constitutionally required process, any attempt to enforce this would be stopped very quickly by many courts and the congress. I believe very few LE types would even consider enforcing such a blatantly unconstitutional law.

Oh I believe President Obama and Secretary of State Clinton would love to see it approved, but not likely at this time.

In Pursuit,