View Single Post

Old 05-20-2010, 11:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Indiana State Police S & W 357 Magnum Model 66

I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum Model 66 at an auction. From the information that I got, it was a Indiana State Troopers weapon at one time. It is a 4" stainless steel. The gun in is very good shape and was in the original box with cleaning kit, warranty card, etc.... On the bottom of the box it also has the State Troopers name who carried the weapon, his Post location and a number (which I think may have been his badge number.) This number is also on the engraved on the gun with ISP 254. Besides having the Smith and Wesson trademark on one side of the revolver, on the other side is the Indiana State Police emblem. On the end of the box there are numerous pieces of information on the sticker in regards to this weapon. One of them is under special features. IND SP F731. This is something to do with the State Police I guess, but the numbers mean nothing to me.

This is the first weapon that I have purchased that is not new out of the box or just a standard used gun. I have never purchased a pistol or any other type that has been used by a police force or that would have any special engravings or markings.

I was just looking for anyone who might be able to enlighten me on any significance that this pistol or one like this might have. What time frame did the Indiana State Police carry this model of weapon? Does anyone know what the ISP 254 actually is. The serial number starts 7K4----. How would I go about finding the age of the gun or information in this regards.

I am sure I paid more then I should have, but thought it was too nice of gun to pass up. Are these a fairly common find where I should fire away, or is this something I could hold on to as a nice collectors type piece in my collection.

Thanks for any help in finding out more about my newest purchase.
The Following User Likes This Post: