View Single Post

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokester653 View Post
Wow I thought this thread died out and lo and behold it popped up again. So exactly what did Obama have to do with the ammo shortage. Nothing but getting elected... You (in general) did it to the rest of us with rumours and straight out panic. That made me sick to my stomach. I don't care how much you buy but don't scream the sky is falling and then when it doesn't don't have the gumption to admit you were wrong. I never said I don't buy ammo and don't stock ammo. I got plenty and I buy in bulk also when I need to. The faces of the masses that were hitting the stores said it all.
You are wrong.

Obama did plenty other than getting elected. Do you remember the statement on his Urban Policy Agenda from his Change.gov website? If not, then I will remind you:

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.
Urban Policy | Change.gov: The Obama-Biden Transition Team

Those were not rumors. They were/are hard, cold facts. His Attorney General called for renewal of the AWB, and Congressional Democrats cringed.

There is no reason for me to believe he has changed his agenda. Those goals just are not politically expedient at this time, and his Obamacare and **** and Tax legislation was/is apparently more important at this time. If the Democrats don't take too bad a whipping in 2010, look for some gun control proposals next year. More likely, if Obama wins a second term, those proposals will come then. The only reason these and even more onerous proposals haven't come about so far in his administration is that it would be very hard to get them through a Congress that remembers what the wrath of the NRA wrought after the Clinton AWB was pushed through in 1994 over the objections of Democrats who knew it would cost them their jobs.

I personally bought very little ammo during the so-called panic, because I have been hoarding since 1994. If I had not had a lot on hand, including primers and powder, I certainly would have taken part in the panic. Any prudent individual who did not already have sufficient stores would. Currently, I am buying .45 ACP because I don't load for that caliber, and .22 long rifle because I don't quite have the 20,000 rounds that I consider sufficient.