View Single Post

Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM

Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecomeget View Post
To be honest. A small woman can not handle the kick of .454 Cas it's just too powerful a cartridge. All I can say, is no way, would this lady be able to hold on. And or fire it twice. She would test fire it once and never shoot it again.
Greetings, Friends,

My wife and I have backpacked up in Alaska several times, and each time we go, both of us are carrying heavily loaded revolvers, "just in case". We always hope and pray that we will not need to use them, but that does not stop us from carrying them, and practicing long and hard before our trips!! My wife carries my 4" M657 S&W, loaded with very heavy, hard-cast WFN LBT bullets, and I carry my 7 1/2" Freedom Arms Field Grade .454 Casull, also very heavily loaded. The first time we flew out of McCarthy, Alaska, to backpack the Wrangel-St. Elias area, using map and compass, our Bush Pilot wanted to see our guns and ammo before he flew us out there. After he saw what we planned to carry, he showed us what HE carries, which is an FA .454, with a shorter barrel!! He uses almost the exact same load that I carry, BUT, he also has a Wild West upgraded Marlin .45-70 in his small plane, as his main gun. The Casull is his "just in case" gun, as are our pistols! Personally, I would NEVER to into the Bush with a Glock 10mm as my only armament. Just too many problems with doing something like that. And as for small woman not being able to handle the .454, I must take honest issue with that statement. My wife, who is 5'6" tall, and weighs 125 lbs, can shoot my FA Casull very competently and accurately, with the heavy loads. NO, she doesn't LIKE doing that, but she can surely do it, if needs be, and is confident with her abilities to protect both of us with that gun, and also the M657 she chooses to carry. So, I believe it's a matter of training, and also desire. Any woman who truly wants to save her own bacon, and the bacon of others, should things go South on her in an instant, should not be concerned about whether she LIKES the gun she is shooting, only that she is able to shoot it properly!! BTW, my Casull is the single most accurate firearm I've ever owned, and if I do my part, from the bench, it will put all five of it's rounds into the same hole at 25 yards. Personally, though it is a far more powerful revolver, I think it recoils less than my S&W 8 3/8" Nickeled M29!! Better grip design, at least for me. For what it's worth..... I'm only blessed to have married a wonderful woman (coming up on 30 years ago!) who is more concerned with safety, than in comfort, when it comes to shooting hand guns at large and dangerous bears!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc