Thread: Model 19-2
View Single Post

Old 06-05-2010, 04:37 AM

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
No issues with the 19-2, aside from the usual warning about avoiding a steady diet of (especially 125 gr) .357 Magnum full-house loads. If as described, I would guess $500-600, the latter figure if complete with the box, paperwork, and tools. A private party might be at the lower end, and a dealer might want more than the higher end.
My instructor told me about this 19-2 becoming available...the same instructor tipped me off to the gun shop where I purchased the model 36 I have posted pictures of here, and in my avatar. I spoke to the owner of the gun today & I'm going to look at the model 19-2 on Sunday. The owner is a local policeman that is selling off the last of his grandfathers gun collection. He assures me it is NIB & never fired. I will see if it has all the papers. Does this mean just the owners manual or is there more I should expect from the original purchaser? What tools should come with the gun? He is priced a little lower than the low end guestimate above. The owner says its blue, is pinned and has a recessed cylinder. I know about the cylinder. Not sure about pinned...does that mean the barrel has a roll pin securing/locating the barrel to the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
But the stainless version wouldn't be a Model 19 nor would it be a finish...it would be a model 66 made of solid stainless steel..
I really have my heart set on a stainless steel wheel gun for a second gun...a model 66 apparently...thanks Pilgrim. Any idea how hard it would be to find a model 66 with a 4 inch barrel that may be NIB or real close to it. I mean is a 66 as hard to find as a 19-2 I know many say they don't make them like they used to, and the old steel frame S&W's are better built guns compared to the newer products with cast pieces. From the education I have recieved here it looks like the model 66 came to be in 1960 and was discontinued in 2005. It looks like cast (MIM) parts were introduced in production in 1997 so I guess 97 and older are the models I should seek. What is the most desirable model 66 and why?

Tech23