View Single Post

Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

Liked 1,883 Times in 987 Posts
Default Forster Co-ax versus Redding Big Boss II

Looking for opinions on the presses to help in making decision. Not looking to start a brand loyalty fight. Both of these presses have me racking my brain on which would be best for me. I am looking to reload the following calibers: 45ACP, 9MM, and .223Rem. In a long search through the web reading reviews on both presses, I find myself saying ok I am going to get this one, read some more and say ok, I am going to get the other one. These are kind of the pros and cons I have found between both, and hopefully can get some advice/suggestions on making decision.

Foster Co-ax:
Pros:
*Accurate and unique loading with jaw type shell holder for precise alignment.
*One shell holder jaw will fit all 3 calibers I am looking to load.
*Consistent primer seating depth.
*Quick change slide in die system
*Pull down top-mounted handle system with significant leverage.
*Primer catcher that eliminates spent primers and carbon falling on bench of floor.
*Lifetime Warranty

Cons:
*Price about $250 (approximately $80 more than Redding BBII)
*Primer seating is a slow process using press and involves handling each primer.
*The pull down handle functioning most people have found is easier to operate from standing position. If mounted at a level seating position it would seem there would be lots of bending to insert extract shells while loading. Possible ergonomic problem.

Redding Big Boss II
Pros:
*Large opening and offset O-design for making it easy to access shell holder location, and load large calibers.
*Spent Primer Collection system.
*Offers a slide-bar primer assembly to allow for less handling of primers, however adds approximately $40 to cost bringing it to around $220--still approximately $30 cheaper than Forster Co-ax.
*Provides considerable leverage, making sizing easier.
*Lifetime Warranty

Cons:
*Requires shell holders for each caliber.
*Large opening makes for longer stroke of handle, which assuming will make for extra work especially loading handgun calibers 45ACP and 9MM.
*Requires dies be screwed in, but can accept Hornady Lock-n-load bushings. Which ultimately add to cost of press in comparison.

Last edited by novalty; 06-06-2010 at 11:26 AM.