View Single Post

Old 06-08-2010, 02:29 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLALAW View Post
Thanks for the info. So the rear shroud can be removed. Is the Novak sight large enough to cover the milled cut out for the protected sight? ie. does it still look like a factory fit with just a Novak type sight?

Just noticed this from that site:

"This is the Early Solid Stainless Steel Frame and Slide, not the later Alloy Frame made to look like Stainless steel"

Which 4006 is the alloy frame?
I don't think there are any after market sights that will completely replace the factory rear sight including the shroud/guard. The replacement sights I've seen are just the front and rear sight blades.

Meprolight makes a nice set of nightsight blades.. Item #22736.

With the spurless factory hammer and adjustable rear sights, I'm thinking that the pistol in your pic is the 4006CHP version, like the one I have:

There's a slight difference with the internals that makes the feel of the trigger pull different from the regular model 4006, the 4006CHP does not have a trigger free play spring on the drawbar, which was specified by the CHP.

Without the spring it allows the trigger pawls to "float" around on the engagement surface of the drawbar and it make a snapping/clicking noise when it pops into place. The free play spring does not let that happen and makes for a smoother pull.

Why the CHP made that a specification is beyond me.

The steel frame does a much better job of dampening the snappy recoil of the .40 S&W... I'd stay with it.