View Single Post

Old 06-11-2010, 01:50 AM

Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
Default 325PD Cleaning and Lubrication

I've started a thread in the Smithing section of this forum, and I think that Armada has given me a really good and simple answer to the questions I have here...he's gonna use the Breakfree CLP on his 325PD, and unless someone here has any other suggestions that might work for me, I'll probably use the same product. But I'll still ask this here... Could someone please tell me what solvents/oils are ok to use on the scandium-framed/titanium-cylinder 325PD's.

I spoke with S&W CS this afternoon, and the person there told me that Hoppes #9 is NOT recommended nor is any solvent which contains ammonia or chlorine, because of the aluminum in the alloys of the frame and cylinder.

He recommended Hoppes Elite, or Breakfree CLP, but I have no experience with either of these...I've used #9 to clean the bores and cylinder chambers, and I've used regular gun oil on the actions, and to lightly coat the barrel bore and cylinder chambers of my steel guns between shooting sessions.

I'll probably call S&W back tomorrow, but I was hoping to hear from some of you regarding how to clean and care for my new 325PD. The generic revolver instructions that came with the revolver don't go into much detail, except to say to buy cleaning supplies that are "specifically designated for my type and caliber of firearm", and to follow the instructions that come with whatever I buy. The manual also says not to use any abrasives on the finish, so I guess that means no lead-remover cloth on the face of the cylinder.

I've got a bottle of Hoppes Elite bore gel, and the instructions say to soak a patch and run it through the bore, let it stand for 5 minutes, soak another patch, followed by running a brush through the bore, and keep using dry patches until they come out clean.

Is a brass brush safe to use in the titanium alloy cylinder chambers, or should I use a nylon brush? I think the barrel is stainless, and so either brush would be OK.

Can I use regular gun oil when I'm through cleaning the gun, and can I wipe down the exterior surfaces of the gun with this oil?

For any of you that own a revolver made of the scandium/titanium alloys, could you please tell me what you use to clean and lubricate the guns?

I have Kroil, the Hoppes Elite gel, various gun oils, and the "dreaded" #9, but I don't have any .45 caliber bore brushes yet.

I know that I'm asking a lot of questions here, mainly because of the exotic alloys used in this revolver. If I could physically handle the 48oz loaded weight of a 625 4" since my shoulder surgery last November, I would have bought that stainless revolver, and this thread wouldn't have been started. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--Andy

Last edited by sonofthebeach; 06-11-2010 at 02:22 AM.