View Single Post

Old 06-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsguy View Post
According to Roy Jinks the turn line is an indication the revolver is working properly. The cylinder stop is designed to ride on the cylinder and the line is not an indication of a poorly timed revolver. I am sure a gun could be tuned to drop the bolt at the last possible second but would probably lead to lockup problems if fired in rapid double action. As Roy has often mentioned S&W was in the business of selling guns not pleasing collectors, reliability was their goal not pleasing fussy collectors.
Listen to the above post - it is dead spot-on.

~ But my question is why do my SAA clones have a complete turn ring?
A single-action revolver should not have a complete ring on its cylinder.
Starting with the hammer down and bolt in notch you start cocking the hammer and the bolt withdraws completely down into the frame and the cylinder starts turning. Then, after the cylinder has turned about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way, the bolt comes back up to make contact with the cyl. again. Pretty much like a DA revolver does. But...the only time you can turn a single-action's cylinder by hand is when it's at half-cock. And the bolt is always completely withdrawn at half-cock.

The only possibility I can think of is that the previous owner lowered the hammer down after falling short of bringing the hammer to full-cock and then turned the cyl. by hand backward to let the bolt drop into the notch.
But if this is the case, then he did it often...because there is a complete line around the whole cylinder!